ORGANIZATION:The Institute for Career Development (ICD)is a fast-growing, dynamic not-for-profit workforce development organization based in New York City. For 100 years, ICD has been a leader in the field of vocational rehabilitation, helping people with disabilities, challenges or barriers to employment transform their lives through career development and employment. Every year, ICD services puts over 1,250 people on a path to career success. ICD’s 32+ member team of helps adults, youth, veterans, entry-level employees, and career changerswith disabilities gain economic independence through career planning, evaluation, career school training programs, internships, job placement servicesand services for employers. Building on the organization’s program success in the five boroughs of New York City, ICD aims to increase its social impact through collaborations, advocacy, and innovation.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: ICDis seeking a Building Maintenance Instructor to teach individuals with disabilities the skills needed for entry-level employment in the facilities-maintenance field.
- Instruct students on an individual and group basis in specific subjects, skills or trades. (All lessons are approved by NYSED-BPSS)Assign classwork, demonstrate procedures and monitor and record progress.
- Through explanation, demonstration, modeling and practice, acquaint students with work activities, proper work methods, and quality of work required for competitive employment.
- Train students using appropriate industry methods in the following areas: carpentry and demolition, electrical, plumbing, and flooring, drywall patching, hanging and finishing, acoustical ceiling installation, floor tile and wall tile repair, lock and door installation, floor stripping and polishing
- Provide and ensure basic safety instruction for all tasks, including OSHA requirements for Blood Borne Pathogens, Universal Precautions and Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Adhere to lesson plans and other information and/or materials for instruction including use of Smart Board technology (training on SMART Board use provided).
- Maintain proper inventory of training equipment and supplies; request replacements as needed. (Monthly Inventory required)
- Responsible for accurate recording of student attendance, absentee forms and creating monthly student progress reports. Assess each student individually using a“Skills Development Checklist” for each subject.
- Provide students with course content material such as literature, handouts, etc. (all literature is filed and would need to be printed)
- Develop and write lesson plans for various course content to meet the needs of all learners
- Other duties as assigned.
WORK DEMANDS & ENVIRONMENT:
· Organizational and time management skills
· Collaboration with other ICD team members in an effort to assist participants with obtaining and maintaining employment
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative
· Professional, motivational and teamwork oriented environment
· Ability to teach adult students from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to utilize and distribute heavy construction equipment or materials requiring lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, kneeling and reaching; weighing between 50 to 75 pounds.
· Strong verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills; Bilingual Spanish is a big plus.
· Previous supervisory or training experience preferred.
· Able to create and adapt lesson plans
· Able to work in a variety of internal settings (i.e. hot, cold, crowded, noisy, etc.).
QUALIFICATIONS:-High School or Equivalency diploma; College degree a plus. Able to apply for a NYSED-BPSS teaching permit/license (must apply for permit/license within 30 days of start, and get approval from NYSED-BPSS.) OSHA, EPA certificationspreferred. Functional knowledge of lesson plan development, classroom management and basic teaching methods for adults. Five (5) or more years of verifiable experience in the building/facilities maintenance field is required. Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; Must be able to learn the use of Smart Board technology.
Strong knowledge in at least 6 of the following subjects:
- Building Procedures and Safety
- Interior Walls and Ceilings
- Floor tile
- Wood flooring
- Floor care/janitorial
- Locks and doors
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES:OSHA, EPA certificationspreferred
HOURS: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM M - F
COMPETITIVE SALARY; COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS INCLUDING PAID MEDICAL
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org a subject of Building Maintenance Instructor
The Institute for Career Development is an advocate for diversity in the workplace. All candidates will benefit from equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to: race; color; age; religion; pregnancy; sex; sexual orientation; disability; gender identity; gender expression; national origin; genetic information; Veteran status; marital status; or prior protected activity.
ICD complies with all applicable federal, state, and city employment laws