YouthBuild DC Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
For more information about YouthBuild PCS, visit youthbuildpcs.org.
YouthBuild seeks a bilingual CTE construction instructor to work with the Construction Team (construction manager and other construction instructors). The construction instructor will oversee daily operations on YouthBuild's construction sites. This is a full-time position, 8:00am - 4:00pm. The construction instructor reports to the construction manager.
A construction instructor at YouthBuild PCS is responsible for creating a supportive, empowering learning environment. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and supervise a group of students on a construction work site, ensuring proper OSHA regulations are being consistently followed and enforced
- Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tools, power tools, and equipment
- Provide on-site construction skills instruction and assessment aligned with NCCER and HBI-PACT standards, including proper use and handling of tools and equipment, demolition, rough framing, drywall, carpentry, green building, electrical, plumbing, painting, and masonry
- Record and maintain records of student achievement towards attaining HBI, NCCER and other certifications
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of students’ leadership skills in conjunction with other school staff
- Differentiate instruction to accommodate students’ multiple learning styles and abilities, including students with disabilities and English language learners
- Work closely with Special Education department to effectively implement Individual Education Programs (IEPs), track student progress, and participate in IEP teams
- Inventory and maintain all tools and equipment used on the job on a daily basis, and inform supervisor about material needs for job site
- Design engaging and rigorous learning activities that will keep students engaged. Work with Construction and Teaching Teams to cover required HBI-PACT and NCCER certification curriculums and align to the broader construction and GED preparatory curricula.
- Assess and facilitate students’ academic and vocational growth through observation and Skills Achievement Reviews. Track and monitor assessment results to ensure student learning, progress, and achievement. Meet student mastery targets.
- Create a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations and provides opportunities for all students to experience success
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with students and colleagues
- Communicate effectively with students and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Commit to ongoing professional development in construction instruction, classroom management, and techniques for teaching opportunity youth. Participate in professional learning circles and/or peer coaching sessions. Accept and promptly implement feedback and coaching from staff.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and take an active role
- Maintain appropriate training certifications
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of three (3) years work experience in construction or related field
- Alignment with, and adherence to, YouthBuild’s mission to transform lives of DC opportunity youth
- Strong cultural competency skills, including excellent ability to communicate with diverse students and staff
- Must be flexible, energetic, and resourceful
- Must also be committed to mentoring and educating “opportunity youth,” and believe that all students can achieve success
- Bilingual Spanish/English fluency strongly preferred
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.